New Salem Baptist Church
Tuesday, April 25, 2017
A church home that really feels like home...
Search this site.View the site map.
Visit us on Facebook.
 
 
INVOLVED IN CHURCH LEADERSHIP?
BIBLE STUDY
SIMULCASTS
SHOPPING
 
 
Please Pray for Our Troops and Missionaries Around the World.

NSBC HISTORICAL PHOTOS

 

 
The following historical photos of New Salem Baptist Church are from the beginning of the church in 1953
through the addition of the Children and Youth Building in 1998.  Some photos were found in church
documents and others were provided by Vickie Jolene Ivey, daughter of the first pastor of New Salem,
J.L. Ivey,  Norma Mitchell Osborne, daughter of  former pastor, Norman Mitchell
and the 1998 photo by Billy Moody. ***
 
These are just a few of the many historical photos which may be viewed  in an album in
New Salem's Media Library (room 17). All historical photos and historical documents (1953-2004)
from New Salem are on file in the Special Collections Dept., Historical Library of Samford University, Birmingham, AL.
 

 
Men of New Salem Baptist Church - 1953.

 
Men of New Salem Baptist Church (1953) standing outside the old wood house in which New Salem
was organized from a Mission to a Church in October, 1953. This house still stands about 1/4 mile
south of the intersection of Old Big Cove Road and Cecil Ashburn Drive. It is on the left in the curve
and is barely visible from the road at this time because of bushes and undergrowth.

Left to Right: Holbert Stone, *Felix Clemons, *Clift Sanderson, Homer Martin,   ?   ,  Henry Thompson,
*Rev. J.L. Ivey - the first pastor of New Salem -, *Jewel Cobb, "Buddy Clemons and *John Neal. The
man standing on the trailer and the man in the vest - front row - are unidentified.

 
*indicates men were Charter Members of New Salem Baptist Church

 
 

 
Women of New Salem Baptist Church - 1953

 
The women of New Salem Baptist Church - 1953.

 
Left to Right:  Mary Ellen "Granny" Treece Cobb, Mable Lanier Brewer, Donnie Stone, Donnie Rich Martin,
Melvin Clemons, Lucille (Mrs. J.L.) Ivey, Octy "Ma" Clemons, and Pearl Neal.
All of these ladies except Mrs. Donnie Martin were Charter Members of New Salem.
 

 


September 8, 1963 - groundbreaking for the old Sanctuary, which is now being used as a Fellowship Hall.
Pastor Norman Mitchell is standing front row just left of center with a Bible in his hand. A framed copy
of this photo with each member identified is on the wall in the present New Salem Media Library (room 17).

 

 
September 8, 1963 - groundbreaking for a new Sanctuary which presently is used as our Fellowship Hall.
This photo is looking east across James Road to what is present day Alexander Estates and Hwy 431
and Hampton Cove in the distant. 
 

                      Youth Choir of New Salem Baptist Church during the 1960s. James Lyle, Choir Director.
 

 

 

 
 
 
 
                          Top Photo: Workers continue pouring concrete to enclose
                                              the ditch running through the south end of
                                              the church's property. Members (l to r) Glenda Moody,
                                              Betty Anderson, Maria Bramlett, Pastor Richard
                                              Anderson and Deacon Steve Bramlett discuss     
                                              the project.  
                                            
                         Middle Photo:  Work begins on the new construction of the
                                                   Children and Youth Building of New Salem (1998)
 
                         Bottom Photo: The newly completed Children and Youth Education Building
 
Photos of the construction of the present Sanctuary (1986-87) and the Chidlren and Youth Building (1998)
are in albums in the New Salem Media Library - room 17.  Photos of the present Sanctuary were provided
by Deacon Terrell Nelson. Photos of the Children and Youth Building were provided by Deacon Billy Moody.


 
 

 
.

 
.

 
.

 
.

 
.

 
.

 
.

 
.

 
.

 
.

 
.

 
.

 
.

 
.

 
.

 
.

 
.

 
.

 
.